RunDFO.net

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to MyDFO.net, the best choice for Dungeon Fighter Online players! We are currently undergoing a site redesign.Thank you for your patience.

5 posters

Future tech arnaments.

Konishi
    Konishi
    Top Poster
    Top Poster

Post Point : 671

Future tech arnaments. Empty Future tech arnaments.

Post by Konishi 21/8/2009, 6:04 pm

Laser beams are famously employed as weapon systems in science fiction, but actual laser weapons are only beginning to enter the market. The general idea of laser-beam weaponry is to hit a target with a train of brief pulses of light. The rapid evaporation and expansion of the surface causes shockwaves that damage the target.

The power needed to project a high-powered laser beam of this kind is difficult for current mobile power technology. Public prototypes are chemically-powered gas dynamic lasers.
    Lasers of all but the lowest powers can potentially be used as incapacitating weapons, through their ability to produce temporary or permanent vision loss in varying degrees when aimed at the eyes. The degree, character, and duration of vision impairment caused by eye exposure to laser light varies with the power of the laser, the wavelength(s), the collimation of the beam, the exact orientation of the beam, and the duration of exposure. Lasers of even a fraction of a watt in power can produce immediate, permanent vision loss under certain conditions, making such lasers potential non-lethal but incapacitating weapons. The extreme handicap that laser-induced blindness represents makes the use of lasers even as non-lethal weapons morally controversial.
    In the field of aviation, the hazards of exposure to ground-based lasers deliberately aimed at pilots have grown to the extent that aviation authorities have special procedures to deal with such hazards.[33]
    On March 18, 2009 Northrop Grumman announced that its engineers in Redondo Beach had successfully built and tested an electric laser capable of producing a 100-kilowatt ray of light, powerful enough to destroy an airplane or a tank. An electric laser is theoretically capable, according to Brian Strickland, manager for the United States Army's Joint High Power Solid State Laser program, of being mounted in an aircraft, ship, or vehicle because it requires much less space for its supporting equipment than a chemical laser.[34]
    Copied from wiki.
    So apparently people kind of got inspired to make laser weaponry after watching all
    those science fiction movies.
    However, lasers are in general very ineffective weapons when it comes to power/force ratio.
    Because lasers lose energy when photons collide with air particles, it would require
    an extremely powerfull laser to be able to damage armoured targets.
    The energy consumed for such a pulse of laser could be used for many other
    purposes such as powering the more energy efficient railgun or maybe power an
    extremely sophisticated targetting system that could use conventional arnaments with striking
    accuracy.
    Just asking, are lasers really worth it as a weapon?
    Ikuya
    Ikuya
    Members
    Members

Post Point : 23

Future tech arnaments. Empty Re: Future tech arnaments.

Post by Ikuya 27/8/2009, 5:11 pm

of course lasers are really worh it as a weapon, theres a few youtube videos about weaker lasers then probally military grade ones, but they still have the the ability to burn a house down without even being close to it, if military technology made laser weapons, and if wiki is even right, then it will cause alot of damage, plus as you said they lose energy, they have generators i believe to create those particles, just alot bigger, make it smaller but still powerful and your probally able to make a short blast of laser energy, but i doubt it will have enough force to blow something off, just make an explosion of fire, hehe i just tried to sound smart there probally 100% wrong lol
    Konishi
    Konishi
    Top Poster
    Top Poster

Post by Konishi 27/8/2009, 5:16 pm

Lasers offer very high precision and travel time (close to zero) so it's great for high accuracy low firepower
    missions such as destroying ballistic missiles or supersonic airplanes. However as a conventional weapon
    against armour or personell, the laser simply uses too much energy and space to be effective as a weapon.
    What you talk about bursts of energy is called a pulse laser, those are the only current lasers to be
    considered useable in military situations. In conventional warfare, however, lasers lack the ability to fire indirectly making them quite useless unless in clear open terrain, something that's barely happening in our days urban warfare situations.
    Ikuya
    Ikuya
    Members
    Members

Post by Ikuya 27/8/2009, 5:31 pm

true that lasers arent super effective as a conventional weapon, and your right that used as something defense it would prove useful, most likely artilly will also prove useful to but all that energy that is stored would cause serious damage if its powerful enough, as for a coneventional weapon there's plasma, which needs no explanation to you~ but plasma if i remember correctly is a little unstable because of the scattered atoms, or i may be compltely wrong i have no idea lol
    Konishi
    Konishi
    Top Poster
    Top Poster

Post by Konishi 27/8/2009, 6:38 pm

Ikuya wrote:true that lasers arent super effective as a conventional weapon, and your right that used as something defense it would prove useful, most likely artilly will also prove useful to but all that energy that is stored would cause serious damage if its powerful enough, as for a coneventional weapon there's plasma, which needs no explanation to you~ but plasma if i remember correctly is a little unstable because of the scattered atoms, or i may be compltely wrong i have no idea lol
    Plasma is the 4th aggregate state. Plasma is the state when the substance have so much energy that
    electrons are no longer bound to the core particles, hence creating a pool of free moving electrons.
    Plasma is stupid as a weaponry kind of as it loses energy quite quickly as well. Conventional
    weapons have the best energy/loss ratio, because conventional weapons barely lose energy
    during travel time. Think of a HEAP shell, the explosives (the energy) won't be triggered
    until it has reached it's target, and wind resisstance doesn't take too much energy.
    However, for both plasma and laser, just by colliding with air particles will reduce their overall energy, hence
    even the most powerfull lasers have a limited range of effect. For long distance weapon, the use of delivering a package cold,
    is still most energy effective as it won't lose energy in form of thermal loss.
    Ikuya
    Ikuya
    Members
    Members

Post by Ikuya 27/8/2009, 8:22 pm

idea= lets see what happens lol
    iReject
    iReject
    Top Poster
    Top Poster

Post Point : 796

Post by iReject 27/8/2009, 8:44 pm

Gosh, u guys are such a nerd.
    Ikuya
    Ikuya
    Members
    Members

Post by Ikuya 27/8/2009, 9:47 pm

science stuff is my favorite lol only in 9th grade so my science knowledge isnt huge T-T
    Flair
    Flair
    Members
    Members

Post Point : 311

Post by Flair 27/8/2009, 10:21 pm

To sum up what I think after reading this thread:

Use lasers in advanced military operations. For operations where high precision and accuracy is required, and perhaps sniping.

Do not use lasers as a weapon for regular policemen/conventional use. Laser weapons would be too expensive for conventional use/waste of money?

Unless we find a way to generate lots of energy really fast, laser weapons wouldn't be effective imo Smile Razz bom drunken
    iReject
    iReject
    Top Poster
    Top Poster

Post by iReject 27/8/2009, 11:32 pm

NERD~
    Konishi
    Konishi
    Top Poster
    Top Poster

Post by Konishi 28/8/2009, 12:08 pm

iReject wrote:NERD~
    Who made a forum dedicated for a game? =3
    Blak Doxa
    Blak Doxa
    Top Poster
    Top Poster

Post Point : 610

Post by Blak Doxa 28/8/2009, 12:46 pm

Machines seem to be the future to me...

Future tech arnaments. _MG_6189_resize

Laser won't be real big till someone lauches on in space to rain hellfire on the masses.

Future tech arnaments. Sbl_3
    Konishi
    Konishi
    Top Poster
    Top Poster

Post by Konishi 28/8/2009, 1:10 pm

Robots are not good warmachines. Taller target + horizontal armour makes their defence capability a minimum.
    Low profile sloped armour is the best protection against kinetic penetrators.
    Space lasers could harness solar power, but just travelling past the atmosphere will drain most of the power...
    + the high energy will create plasma in mid air further reducing the lasers damage output.
    Blak Doxa
    Blak Doxa
    Top Poster
    Top Poster

Post by Blak Doxa 28/8/2009, 1:36 pm

Those are weapons every thinks of using in the future.

Him...I'm up from robots...but with complex designs, it would require several fields of science to construct a couple.

That with the price of the project and the dwindling resources of our planet robots, lasers, etc. seem a real distant dream....

Here are some thing i found that could be pratical for the future weapons.

Ferrofluids; Aerogel; Perfluorocarbons (first for weapons, the other two for operations)

http://www.cracked.com/article_17476_7-man-made-substances-that-laugh-in-face-physics.html

http://www.cracked.com/article_17476_p2.html <--next page with some more awesome stuff.
    Konishi
    Konishi
    Top Poster
    Top Poster

Post by Konishi 28/8/2009, 1:45 pm

Robots are not efficient in combat in many ways. Of course bipedal movement offers climbing abilities such as eliminating the threaths from tank traps or trenches. However, as robots are bipedals, they are standing vertically, making them taller targets for big weapons.
    Also, as robots are bipedals instead of a rolling chunk of armour plating, their joints and limbs are very vulnerable to weaponry
    mainly because the armour is thin and the limbs can be kinetically torn off the main body with adequate force.

For reference to your article. Aerogel for instance is just a type of solidification of gasses, and yeah well... it protects energy from being sucked away from astronauts. I don't see how it could be used as a military equipment though, unless you think of having
    fireproof suits or something.
    Blak Doxa
    Blak Doxa
    Top Poster
    Top Poster

Post by Blak Doxa 28/8/2009, 1:57 pm

All aerogel needs to be is, is explode proof or at least reduce the inpact.

If it can be used in, someway, with Non-Newtonian Fluids you could perfect body armor for various situations.

Transparent Alumina could be very beneficial, too.
    Konishi
    Konishi
    Top Poster
    Top Poster

Post by Konishi 28/8/2009, 2:00 pm

Non Newtonian... you're asking about fluids that doesn't follow classic physics laws?
    Are you suggesting we invent liquid black holes or something?
    Blak Doxa
    Blak Doxa
    Top Poster
    Top Poster

Post by Blak Doxa 28/8/2009, 2:10 pm

Konishi wrote:Non Newtonian... you're asking about fluids that doesn't follow classic physics laws?
    Liquid black holes...so many applications....but no.

Like it mentioned in the article it solidifies under pressure for a short while...liquid wall.

Water we step we fall through it but the N-N liquids would hold for a period of time.

Kinda hard to think of many more uses...but I would definately opt for liquid black holes.
    Konishi
    Konishi
    Top Poster
    Top Poster

Post by Konishi 28/8/2009, 2:43 pm

Blak Doxa wrote:
    Konishi wrote:Non Newtonian... you're asking about fluids that doesn't follow classic physics laws?
    Liquid black holes...so many applications....but no.

Like it mentioned in the article it solidifies under pressure for a short while...liquid wall.

Water we step we fall through it but the N-N liquids would hold for a period of time.

Kinda hard to think of many more uses...but I would definately opt for liquid black holes.
    Any substance will be impenetratable with enough pressure. Take for example water, have you eer experienced that a
    water hose directed at you pushes you backwards? Think about 100 litre of water pressured into a 10 cm^3 block, I'm sure that block
    can hold, however not naturally of course.
    iReject
    iReject
    Top Poster
    Top Poster

Post by iReject 28/8/2009, 6:53 pm

More nerdy topic. Woot hoot, mang i wish i were a nerd
    Konishi
    Konishi
    Top Poster
    Top Poster

Post by Konishi 28/8/2009, 7:21 pm

iReject wrote:More nerdy topic. Woot hoot, mang i wish i were a nerd
    We simply have scientific interests...
    Blak Doxa
    Blak Doxa
    Top Poster
    Top Poster

Post by Blak Doxa 29/8/2009, 9:55 am

iReject wrote:More nerdy topic. Woot hoot, mang i wish i were a nerd
    @Hung Lol, smarts rule!!

@Konishi freeze is natural ;O
    Konishi
    Konishi
    Top Poster
    Top Poster

Post by Konishi 29/8/2009, 10:33 am

I didn't understand that comment...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content